What is a concussion?
- Brain injury that occurs when the head is violently shaken or hit such as whiplash during a car accident or a collision during a sporting event
- Always consult a healthcare professional if you believe you have suffered a concussion
- Neck pain is often associated with a concussion
- Nausea vomiting
- Sensitivity to light and sound
How can physical therapy help?
- Your physical therapist will examine you to determine the extent of your concussion as well as search for related concerns (neck pain/shoulder pain). Together you will develop an individualized treatment plan to address impairments found in examination. Typical treatment includes:
- Education regarding proper rest and recovery
- Restore overall strength and endurance
- Address soft tissue restrictions in neck and shoulders
- Improve balance
- Return to work or sport